Marvel Snap’s “Over the Air” hotfixes to cards are now live for August 31, 2023 – no need for a game update! Some cards have been changed as part of a scheduled balancing cycle: Doctor Doom, Lady Deathstrike, Captain Marvel, Rockslide and Legion has had their effect, power and cost adjusted. Check out the full details below!
- Doctor Doom – 6/5 – On Reveal: Add a 4-Power DoomBot to each other location. ▶ 2/1 – On Reveal: Add a 5-Power DoomBot to each other location.
- Lady Deathstrike – 5/3 ▶ 5/4
- Captain Marvel – 4/5 ▶ 4/4
- Rockslide – 4/5 ▶ 3/3
- Legion – 5/8 ▶ 5/7
For our analysis and some decks you can try, check out our article!
Today’s update includes three nerfs and two buffs, one of which will look very familiar to you. Let’s start there!
In hindsight, the timing for our previous nerf to Doctor Doom wasn’t ideal. While he was dominating, we had Spider-Ham coming with an elbow from the top rope and Move decks were on the rise, so his stock was already going to dip. In the weeks since, the metagame has shifted further, with Professor X becoming a lockdown favorite once again and Captain Marvel challenging locations left and right. We’re confident Doom deserves at least a return to his former glory in order to compete.
- [Old] 4/5 – At the end of the game, move to a location that wins you the game. (if possible)
- [Change] 4/5 -> 4/4
Moving Carol from 5/6 to 4/5 shook some things up, and the change wound up coming in a little hotter than we’d hoped for. For the last week, Captain Marvel has been one of the best-performing cards in our two best-performing decks, traditional ZabuHawk and the new Angela/Kraven-based Move deck. While we know there’s movement in the metagame and a few new decks surging to combat those two, they were already strong decks! They didn’t need this to shine. We’re going to cool Carol off for a minute to let the metagame breathe before evaluating where her happiest home would be, if it’s not 4/4.
- [Old] 5/8 – On Reveal: Replace each other location with this one.
- [Change] 5/8 -> 5/7
Speaking of coming in hot! We were worried players might underestimate Legion, so we gave him a late internal buff from 5/7 to 5/8 for extra oomph to ensure he put on a show for everyone. Seems kind of silly now though, doesn’t it? Legion has consistently appeared in a variety of strong decks and been one of our top performing cards for a few weeks. That’s been fun, and he’s added fresh dynamics to existing matchups that were truly unique. However, he also disrupts some of the diversity we rely upon location variance to create within the metagame, so we’re going to take that extra edge off.
- [Old] 4/5 – On Reveal: Shuffle 2 Rocks into your opponent’s deck.
- [Change] 4/5 -> 3/3
Here we go again–we know, we know, Darkhawk‘s the star here. While he’s out front signing autographs, Rockslide‘s loading the van with . . . Rocks. It’s not a perfect metaphor, but somebody has to do the dirty work! However, this isn’t just a small nerf to the Zabu–Darkhawk deck, though that is its primary purpose. We’re trying to keep Power focused in Darkhawk if possible, as he’s the appealing build-around element. We’re curious to explore what the world looks like where we can reduce Darkhawk‘s reliance on Zabu, since it prevents both cards from appearing in a wider range of archetypes when the combination is so strong. Slotting Rockslide between Korg/Black Widow and Darkhawk might help that happen–it also might not. Maybe this goal is even doomed. Let’s take a step toward finding out.
- [Old] 5/3 – On Reveal: Destroy each card here with less Power than this.
- [Change] 5/3 -> 5/4
While we were willing to take a chance missing too high on Legion, the same wasn’t true of Lady Deathstrike. The difference is stark–if Legion is in the best deck, games might be a little wacky, but if Lady Deathstrike is in the best deck, games might be super frustrating. However, we did want her to land on solid ground, and it’s become clear that she could use a little help. We’re going to try this buff on for size, and if it doesn’t work out we’ll evaluate a more significant change.
We know this is a bit of a “nerf week” relative to the excitement of some recent OTA patches, but these kinds of adjustments are just as necessary. September will unleash some dangerous cards and enchanting variants, so we’re lowkey seeking some calm before that particular nexus event. Too soon? It still feels too soon.
Enjoy our content? You can Support Marvel Snap Zone and your favorite content creators by subscribing to our Premium community! Get the most of your Marvel Snap experience with the following perks for paid membership:
- No ads: Browse the entire website ad-free, both display and video.
- Exclusive Content: Get instant access to all our Premium articles!
- Meta Reports: Exclusive daily meta reports, such as the Top 10 Decks of the Day, Top 30 Cards, and Top Card Pairs tailored for you!
- Team Coaching: Join our free weekly team coaching call sessions on the Discord server. Claim your Premium role and gain access to exclusive channels where you can learn and discuss in real time!
- Premium Dashboard: Get full instant access to the member-only dashboard, the all-in-one page for all your benefits.
- Support: All your contributions get directly reinvested into the website to increase your viewing experience! You get also get a Premium badge and border on your profile.
- Special offer: For a limited time, use coupon code SBYREX4RL1 to get 50% off the Annual plan!