From the former Hearthstone director Ben Brode and the team at Second Dinner development studio comes Marvel Snap, a new free-to-play digital card game based on the Marvel Universe. Since card games are our jam, we’re always excited to cover new ones! Here’s everything we know about the game so far, revealed from the official announcement and other gaming outlets.
The fastest card battler in the Multiverse is here! Assemble your Marvel dream team from a super roster of your favorite heroes and villains—then make your move. MARVEL SNAP unleashes the entire Marvel Universe into a fast-paced, adrenaline-pumping, strategic card battler.
- Publisher: Nuverse
- Developer: Second Dinner
- Release Date: 2022
- Platform: iOS / Android / Windows PC
- Genre: Collectible Card Game
The game is focused on small decks and quick games (3 minutes being the target), with a special bluffing mechanic we’ve not seen outside of more traditional card games such as poker. The initial reveal states that the launch set of cards will total about 150, not including special art variants (seem to be cosmetic skins only), and that new cards will be added monthly to keep the gameplay from getting stale.
The new Marvel Snap Reveal video of Ben and other Second Dinner developers such as Hamilton Chu (CEO) claim “The skill cap is really high, I think you can play Snap for thousands of hours and not feel like you’ve perfected it”. Monetization details have not been revealed, only a statement that it will be possible to obtain every card as a free player.
So how does the game actually play? The Gameplay Walkthrough video introduces all the basic rules, and some card effects. Both players draw 3 cards from their 12-15 card decks (no duplicate cards) to start the game. The game then provides 3 randomised locations to battle for with your opponent, revealing the 2nd and 3rd on subsequent turns. Players simultaneously play character cards from their hands at a location, then reveal and resolve their play effects each round. As rounds progress, you draw 1 card and are allowed to play more powerful cards, similar to Hearthstone. The winner is the player with control of 2 of the 3 locations (via having more powerful heroes placed there) at the end of 6 rounds, unless one player forfeits sooner.
Unlike many online collectible card games, what sets Marvel Snap apart for me is the ability to raise the stakes mid-match. If you’re playing in ranked mode every game is a wager for points on their ladder system, but in Snap either player has the ability to up the ante once per game by doubling the stakes. As well, if the game reaches round 6 (the final round) without either player conceding, the stakes are doubled once more automatically. If you aren’t feeling confident in your chances, you have the ability to forfeit before the final round, and walk away only losing 1 ranked point, but if both players Snap and the game goes to round 6, one player will walk away with 8 of the other player’s points!
There is a Closed Beta taking sign-ups for players on Android devices, and promises of an “early access” PC version to coincide with the eventual mobile launch. As of this writing no official launch date has been confirmed.
The teams at Nuverse and Second Dinner—plus our good friends at MARVEL—are all bursting-at-the-seams excited to have finally announced MARVEL SNAP. The fastest card battler in the Multiverse is here! Well, almost. To be clear, our first Android closed beta is here—so, welcome! Make sure to SIGN UP HERE.
We’ve poured a seemingly impossible amount of passion and work into this game—and we’re still working on it. We’ll need all your insights, notes, thoughts, and bug-catching brilliance to really get the most out of this crucial development phase. Your feedback about MARVEL SNAP means the world to us!
We can’t wait for you to dive in, build a deck, level up your cards, and play some matches with us! Everything we learn goes right back into making the game even better.
- Sign-up starts TODAY
- Selected users will be notified via email shortly
- Platform: Android only
- Eligible Countries/Regions: United States, Canada, Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand
- Test Type: All user progress during the Android closed beta Test WILL NOT be deleted
There are over 150 cards in the first set with the initial release, from Marvel heroes to villains! Here are all the official card images and their cosmetic variants revealed so far:
This looks like an exciting and fast-paced game from an experienced card game designer, so I’ve already signed up for the beta and look forward to writing more about Snap soon!
Enjoy our content? You can Support Marvel Snap Zone and your favorite content creators by subscribing to our Premium community! Get the most of your Marvel Snap experience with the following perks for paid membership:
- No ads: Browse the entire website ad-free, both display and video.
- Exclusive Content: Get instant access to all our Premium articles!
- Meta Reports: Exclusive daily meta reports, such as the Top 10 Decks of the Day, Top 30 Cards, and Top Card Pairs tailored for you!
- Team Coaching: Join our free weekly team coaching call sessions on the Discord server. Claim your Premium role and gain access to exclusive channels where you can learn and discuss in real time!
- Premium Dashboard: Get full instant access to the member-only dashboard, the all-in-one page for all your benefits.
- Support: All your contributions get directly reinvested into the website to increase your viewing experience! You get also get a Premium badge and border on your profile.
- Special offer: For a limited time, use coupon code SBYREX4RL1 to get 50% off the Annual plan!