Negative Zola (a.k.a 0-Cost 3 Iron Man Dream)
Hi, I’m some nobody with a low rank and bad cards. For some reason this is a deck guide.
This deck is a mish mash of my experience with Mister Negative and patching up his faults if he fails to show up before turn 4. It’s also built around ol’ TV face himself and my favourite card in the game, Arnim Zola.
This deck is doing surprisingly well at ~2,800 collection level and it’s not braindead. At least it feels not braindead.
The most Bricked hand I’ve had with this deck is ALL the zero power cards showing up long with Jane. Even then, Bast on turn 3 would have entirely saved it into a playable game, so NEVER GIVE UP before turn 4, lol.
- A standard Snap strategy is at turn 4 if you have Mister Negative and Jane Foster Mighty Thor in your hand. It’s gonna pull all your new 0 cost cards out and you can do whatever on turn 6. If Iron Man AND Mystique show up before you get to negative, maybe just be happy with the 2 cubes or bail and eat the 1-cube loss.
- You can still do some shenanigans with Silver Surfer and Bast that may lead to victory though. Bast makes Iron Man kind of insane and double for Mystique.
- If the above doesn’t pan out, then Adam Warlock and Magik can help you draw out the game to where even if you don’t get a Neg’d deck, you have more than enough to combo.
- BP is there as an alternate kind of power push. I found Negative decks relying too hard on the combos going way too hard, so slotting in something simple like BP into Zola in dire times will give enough for do your power. With a normal deck it’s 11 Energy for 32 power in the best case scenario and if you get a negative deck it’s 40 POWER FOR 4 ENERGY. Bah gawd Kang, he’s broken them in half.
- Speaking of long stupid combos you can potentially have 3 Iron Mans for the cost of NOTHING (though generally 3 for some reason, lol) – On a Blank Location Iron Man > Mystique > Zola = Profit. Or despair if there is a last turn Armor or Enchantress. Easy come, easy go…
- Don’t be afraid to use Bast on cards with higher power than 3.
- Never use Bast after you invert your deck. (Use your head)
- I played a version of this deck which was Patriot focused as well (Patriot, Debrii, Squirrel Girl) but I subbed in Magik, Zola and BP. This deck works better for me, maybe not for you.
I will list any substitutions that I can, but there aren’t many:
- Bast – Psylocke – I know it’s 1 more Energy but HOT DAMN Bast is good. I don’t find the need to Negative that early, but you can do it on turn 3 with Psylocke. Other than Bast or Psylocke, just go with the 1 cards that annoy your opponent like Yondu or Iceman.
- Adam Warlock – Psylocke > Scorpion > Yondu = Iceman – Adam is equal in value to Psylocke (imo), but with Bast he can be useful on his own.
- Wolfsbane – Angela. It’s like reverse Wolfsbane for 1 less energy and really benefits from being inverted. Shame about the no SS buff, but hey she’s there and I love her.
- Brood – Ironheart, Rogue, Gambit, Punisher, CAPTAIN AMERICA?, Bishop – Take your pick. There’s a lot of warm bodies in the 3 Energy Tier for this deck and anything below 3 Power is welcome. Maybe not Lockjaw. Definitely Not Electro.
- Magik – Spider-Man – Kind of the other side of the coin. Still benefits from Negative and maybe locks out a location on turn 6. Spider-Man lives on Turn 5 and balancing wise, his cost and power numbers make him super interesting. Only really useful if you’ve gotten an early Neg or if nothing else exciting is happening for you on turn 5. I tried it for a bit. It was just okay. Xavier or Storm have similar, but less compelling arguments.
- Black Panther – I’ll be honest, there are much better cards in this game than BP and almost certainly much better for this deck. But this video exists and I cannot give up this dream: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/10RAMw63ei8
- Attilan – Unassuming, but this is why I can’t snap before turn 3. Traumatising
- Bar Sinister – https://www.youtube.com/shorts/10RAMw63ei8
- Central Park – We don’t have the means to blow up Squirrels. Killmonger, if you must.
- Dream Dimension – Busts up the Jane Thor part of the base combo and slams Magik. Not impossible, but your 5 cost cards will hate you.
- Gamma Lab – Personal bias, but Hulks feel like a waste in this deck.
- Ego – Auto-Snap you cowards!
- Elysium – Limbo this for fun.
- Grand Central – Grand Central Giveth, Grand Central Taketh Away.
- Jotunheim – Probably the Worst location in the game. Again personal bias, it’s not going to matter much to a deck that puts out so much last turn power.
- Kamar-Taj – Mr. Negative Turns your cards a funny colour.
- Klyntar – On turn 4 create a 15 power symbiote that Killmonger can sacrifice to Knull. At least that’s how it feels.
- Knowhere – Boo! Hiss! No fun allowed!
- Lamentis-1 – Use ur brain real hard, then leave the game.
- Limbo – Free turn 5
- Lukes Bar – They keep kicking out Galactus and can’t get rid of the Brood infestation. 2/10
- Mindscape – MAGIK!! WHERE ARE YOU!?!?
- Morag – On turn 6, play a majority of your cards here.
- Onslaughts Citadel – Iron Man / Mystique chill pad.
- Oscorp Tower – Enjoy your Bast.
- Plunder Castle – Zola is a good way to sneak people into this. Otherwise TERRIBLE.
- Savage Land – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vajEcIGQKQY
- Vormir – The cleanest way to play a Mr. Negative deck.
- Worldship – Easy -1 Cube.
If you enjoyed playing this deck, then cool. Tell me how much fun you had. It will please me.
If you did not enjoy playing it and think you have improvements then please, let me know. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
Know any cards in pools 3, 4 or 5 that might make good subs? I want to hear it!
I’d like to try and reach Infinite at some point with this game, it’s a lot of fun.